A carseat while traveling

I'm just not sure what to do.  We are going to Costa Rica in a few weeks and I need to figure out the carseat situation.  When we took Maxie, we rented a car and a carseat, which isn't as easy as it sounds but it a story for another day.  We also drove 4 1/2 hours from San Jose to Manuel Antonio and then back again instead of taking the 11 seat plane down to our house.  This time, we are taking the plane and won't really need a car.  Mo is still young enough to sit on my lap for both plane rides - so we won't need a car seat for that.  The town that our house is in is small.  You can pretty much get anywhere by foot or bus - and I doubt we will even leave our property with Mo very much.  BUT - we might go out to dinner once or twice and in those cases, we will probably have to take a taxi.  So, do I shlep a carseat all the way down there for two 5 minute rides?  I know the answer should be YES but even though I am super over protective - it seems ridiculous to me.  I guess my question is this - how do people who live in say, Manhattan, get around in a taxi with a baby?  Are you carrying your carseat everywhere too?  And, keep in mind, Mo is in a convertible carseat, not a snap and go.  Then are you just out to dinner with a gigantic carseat?  What's the deal?


**** Consider this post already old news!  I'm bringing the carseat!  I'm going to get a carseat rolling carrier to make lugging it around easier.  Thanks!

10 comments

Anonymous said...

Won't he need to be in a carseat on the plane to Costa Rica, and won't you need to take yours on the plane anyway? Use that carseat to and from and wherever you go. I don't remember a plane supplying carseats.

Abby Leviss said...

Anonymous - I won't have the carseat on the plane because Mo will be on my lap.

Makenzies-Mamma said...

Please take the car seat with you on the plane and do not check it, even if you don't use it on the plane don't let them gate check the seat. Luggage is often damaged and lost and they are so rough with things your car seat can be damaged. You don't know what could happen so always take the seat on the plane.

Stacy Walter Katz said...

May be too late to suggest this, but there is a stroller that convert into a carseat (also fits on airplanes) and is ideal for travel (not ideal for 24/7, 365 days/yr use but perfect for a week or two when you are away from holme). It is called a Sit 'n Stroll...my friend used it for her 1.5 yr old daughter when they went to Africa for a few weeks and took this (instead of taking a separate stroller, car seat and car seat carrier). If you want to borrow this, she may still have it....let me know.

Bianca said...

Also suggesting the Sit n Stroll if you can borrow one. We got a loaner when we took Char to CR at 1 1/2 and used it as carseat, stroller and high chair throughout the trip. It fits on planes and we strapped it in there too. I even made them let me use it on the tiny plane. xoxo

Raquel said...

Our taxis have always had one in it! Mexico, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Florida, New York, Maryland so maybe they have one (always kept in the trunk just asked)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know I'm a stranger but I live really close to you. I have a sit and stroll just sitting unused if you want to borrow it! -Kate

Abby Leviss said...

Yes!!! Would love to! Thank you! Can you email me at teddyabby at gmail dot com? That is so nice Kate!!!

Susan said...

Abby - I know what you mean - we use a rear facer at home - if Mo rear facing - because I think that would be the most important safety thing to do... when we travel - we usually hire a car, we take a forward facer seat as it is more practical/lighter - and yeah, sometimes I jump in a tai with no seat... it is hard crap, because we know what can happen when it is really unlikely... I think my approach is to just do my best. I can't keep her completely safest all the time... but my heart is a little in my mouth when we travel around France, because she isn't rear facing... but if we didn't "risk" it - she'd never see my Dad :(

thefoodinista said...

Hi Abby—we also have a sit n stroll if you need it and I'm happy to drop it off.