Vulnerable

It has suddenly become clear to me:

I like people who are vulnerable.  I always have.

I like people who are imperfect and who see those imperfections as character enhancing, rather than as pieces of themselves to hide.  I like people who are silly and sloppy....not people who are groomed and detailed.  My whole life, I've wondered why I connect so quickly with some people and not others.  It suddenly dawned on me that I like people who know themselves and are confident enough to be imperfect.  Perfect is boring. 

I like people who are willing to accept my imperfections as well.  How can I connect with someone if I am trying to be on my best behavior all of the time?  I want you to know who I am - and I want to know you too.  I am not "Ms. Manners".  I like deep talks, inappropriate jokes, and people who can laugh at themselves.  My willingness to be vulnerable hasn't always made me the most popular person or part of high society, but it's created a circle of people in my life that I can trust.  It's kept me laughing and feeling supported.  It's been the vulnerable people who've stood by my side since losing Max.  The proper people all ran away, unable to face the imperfection of our loss.  The authentics rose to the occasion, knowing that life isn't perfect and comfortable.

There have been times in my life when I've been embarrassed about my own vulnerability - times when I've been made to feel inadequate for revealing my inadequacies.  Today I have to say - I am grateful for my own willingness to be vulnerable.  I'm not sure I would have come this far by now without it. 

No comments