Like a rock

Would you like to just stop thinking about everything for a while and focus completely on yourself?  I recommend a plugged milk duct or mastisis.  It is really working for me.  I am completely focused on myself (and the shooting pain that is aching through my one rock hard breast).  It's a great excuse to take a warm bath and then a warm shower and then another warm bath.  It's also a great if you like (to) massage (your own sore breast).  And finally, it's a terrific reason to endlessly surf the internet!

Um, seriously - I'm losing my mind.  And I don't have time to lose it!  I have a bunch of deadlines in the next two weeks, Mo is going to the cardiologist this afternoon and my nanny is sick!  What's the answer mommies?  Cabbage leaves?  Cold compresses?  Raw garlic (I tried it last night - that is how desperate I am!)  HELP!

4 comments

Ronja said...

I always cooled as much as I could with gel compresses in between feedings, and what did the trick for me was really warming the breast up with heating pads right before nursing. But if it really is Mastitis you will need antibiotics, so you might want to see a doctor?

I have been reading your blog for a while now. Then, in September my dear friend lost her babygirl. She was born still just 3 days before her due date. I feel that through your advice I was a least able to be a good friend to her by not saying hurtful things by accident. She tells me of much the same things people said to you also, plus things like: At least you did not really know her. (how can it be good to not get to know the child you carried for nine months?). Anyways, thank you for sharing your story and helping others with it.

Stacy said...

heating pads, warm washcloths, non-stop massaging to the area. if you can actually feel the duct and where the clog is, go to town on it and just try to massage it out. it is sometimes easier to have someone else do it, since they can apply more pressure and pain than you usually can and will to yourself.

Eliza said...

Nursing, nursing, and more nursing. Try having him nurse from a different angle. I know it sounds odd, but worked for me a few times. They seemed to "work it out" for me.

Nika M. said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with that! I've had mastitis 3 times in the last 6 months, and it was so horrible.

I had a really hard time with mine because it just would not go away. I was finally able to work it out after a few hot baths. I leaned forward, letting them soak in the hot water, and worked the specific spot as much as I could tolerate. And then nursed again after the bath.


I hope you're feeling better soon!