Top Ten List

Thank you for all of the great advice yesterday. I am feeling so much better!

In the meantime, all of the suggestions about what to do were not only helpful but also somewhat hilarious.  Since I searched all over the internet for help, I figured I would share the wisdom I gleaned from my readers.

Here is a list of the Top 10 recommendations (think Letterman).  From straight up practical to "out of the box" and giggle inducing.

1. I always cooled as much as I could with gel compresses in between feedings, and what did the trick for me was really warming the breast up with heating pads right before nursing. (*By the way, this is what I did and it seems to have worked).

2. Heating pads, warm washcloths, non-stop massaging to the area. if you can actually feel the duct and where the clog is, go to town on it and just try to massage it out. it is sometimes easier to have someone else do it, since they can apply more pressure and pain than you usually can and will to yourself. (Ouch!)

3. Nursing, nursing, and more nursing. Try having him nurse from a different angle. I know it sounds odd, but worked for me a few times. 

4. A very warm shower can help – let the water just run over your breast.  You can also use a wide toothed comb to massage towards nipple. 

5. You can also take ibuprofen, which will help with inflammation and pain.

6. While nursing, aim baby's chin in the direction of the plug. 

7. If there is a fever, mom can take Raw garlic- at least 2-3 raw cloves per day, 4-5 cloves a day if possible. Chop a clove into 5 or 6 pieces and then swallow the pieces whole like pills.Raw garlic acts as a broad-spectrum antibiotic, without the added antibiotic side effects of the development of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria, or the development of yeast infections or thrush. (I did this...not sure if it helped)

8.  Use a diaper for moist heat - take any diaper and run water through the inside of it and then microwave it.  I like to do the microwaving in :30 increments because you don't want it to be scorching. 

9. Use an electric toothbrush or a vibrator  (Yep, you read that right) on the spot where the plug is.  You can do before or after heat or just any time while you have the plug.  The vibrations can help break up the plug.  I know it sounds nuts but the ladies at the Pump Station taught me this one and it works like a charm. 

And the number one (funny) way to release a plugged duct!!!!:

10. Nurse on all 4s.  So, get down on hands and knees and have Mo under you and nurse the sore side that way.  The gravity helps.  Again, I know it sounds nuts but it can really help. Just warn Teddy that you're going to try it out so he doesn't think you've lost your mind.  I made that mistake once

3 comments

Anonymous said...

OY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing Each Day said...

Yes, some of these are very amusing! I'm glad that you're feeing better, Renee.

Jayden's Mommy said...

Sounds interesting very funny. I do have to agree that all of them do make sense. I had one of this with my first daughter Jayda and I put into practice at least 8 of the ones you mentioned. :)